Monday, March 2, 2015

Do You Have Drafty Doors?

We moved into this house two and a half years ago, almost three, actually. At some point a plastic thing was hanging off the door so I ripped it off. It was broken anyways and I figured I could just get some of that sticky foam weatherstripping that comes on a roll. But I put it off, of course. After three drafty winters (and three summers of probably paying to air condition the neighborhood) I got REAL TIRED of being cold ( and hot/broke).

I dug in earnest in the garage for those blasted rolls of weatherstripping and did my almighty best to stick as much of it as I could while still being able to close the door. Which was difficult. And, I could STILL feel drafts and see daylight!!!

I called my infinitely wise and experienced father, who lives in Wisconsin (on purpose, I can't figure that one out). I took photos and described to him what I saw. He said, "Honey, there's a groove in the frame of the door where the insulation is installed, and you can pull it out with a needlenose pliers, go to the Home Depot and get a replacement." I didn't believe him. "No Dad the whole door needs to be replaced!" But I went to the garage and got the pliers. I figured I couldn't make the door look any worse than it currently did (I admit I even used a roll of black Gorilla tape to cover the drafts that I couldn't get with the foam roll weatherstripping. It looked HIDEOUS).

I pulled and what do you know, just like he said, there was a replaceable plastic piece. Off to Home Depot I went. I happily paid ten bucks for two 100 inch pieces of the stuff (the back door is also very drafty). Went home, installed it and I am still on a high. I am downright giddy. I can't help but go open the door and run my fingers down the gloriously springy white vinyl-covered foam, knowing my source of near-constant irritation is GONE with the wind....(couldn't help myself).

No comments:

Post a Comment