Sunday, March 1, 2015

Outsource it, or Do It Yourself?

When we moved into our house, my father-in-law (the homeowner) had just had the master bathroom re-tiled. Except the bathroom sink backsplash was never finished, as the contractor was a friend of a friend of a friend who lived in a nearby city (not near enough apparently) did not consider that small space worth the trip of returning. So I've looked at that ugly unfinished backsplash, and missing two false drawer fronts, for the last two and a half years. I've considered many times whether to tackle the job myself, but I lack tile-laying knowledge, and I couldn't figure out how to attach the drawer fronts without screwing it from the front.

At one point I was in Home Depot and saw these sheets of decorative vinyl and I picked one up for $20, thinking I could just cover up the ugly part of the backsplash. I admit, I half-assed it, because I wasn't prepared to remove the mirror, outlet etc. So I stared at ugliness for the next several months. I even called the tile people to see if they could match my tile and considered hiring a handyman to do the short job.

Finally, after becoming inspired by my new friend Mr. Money Mustache, I decided to tackle both jobs once and for all. It was easier than I thought on the backsplash. No mirror removal required. The drawer fronts were harder, but a youtube video gave me the basic principle I needed to get the job done. Here are the results! Now I just need to replace the mirror which the reflective backing is peeling off. But that'll come later, after I have my $1000 saved (and maybe longer, since my stare-at-ugliness muscles are well developed and I can instead focus on the pretty backsplash and drawer fronts. Well, that right one is crooked because my son was holding it for me and he let it sag, but that's quick fix I'll do when my husband can hold it on for me from the front).

Do you have something around the house you've been considering paying money for someone else to do? Can a library book or youtube or wikihow give you the knowledge and confidence you need to do it yourself and save money? Yes it can.





1 comment: